Korea Trip

2025.11.16 12:05

Sunheunghyanggyo Confucian School (순흥향교)

Gyeongsangbukdo
15-36, Cheonggu-gil, Yeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do


The exact founding date of Soonheung Hyanggyo is unknown, but it is presumed to have been established during the late Goryeo period or early Joseon period. It was initially built in Geumseong, north of Sunheung-bu, then relocated east to Yadong in 1718 (the 44th year of King Sukjong's reign). It was later moved south to Seokgyo-ri in 1750 (the 26th year of King Yeongjo's reign), and finally relocated to its present location in 1770 (the 46th year of King Yeongjo's reign). It underwent major repairs in 1971, with the pavilion and dancheong (traditional multicolored paintwork) restored in 1975.
Originally, Sunheung Hyanggyo served as a space where Confucian scholars of the Sunheung region during the Joseon Dynasty resided to pursue their studies, enshrined the spirit tablets of Confucius and other sages, and performed ancestral rites. Later, it was also used as a local autonomous institution, but after the 16th century, difficulties in operating the hyanggyo and socio-economic changes led to the weakening of its educational function, leaving only the ritual function.
The existing buildings include the 7-bay Daeseongjeon Hall, the 6-bay Myeongnyundang Hall, the 5-bay Dongmu and Seomu halls, the 4-bay Dongjae dormitory, the 7-bay gate tower, the three-door gate, the side gate, and the office. The Daeseongjeon enshrines the spirit tablets of the Five Sages and Ten Sages. The Dongmu and Seomu enshrine the spirit tablets of the Six Sages of the Song Dynasty and the Eighteen Sages of Korea. Additionally, the complex houses documents created during the operation of the Hyanggyo in the late Joseon period, such as the Jipsa-an (Records of Administrative Affairs), Myeonbunryuwonim-an (Records of the Appointment of County Officials), and Gyojungjaprok (Miscellaneous Records of the School).
[이 게시물은 최고관리자님에 의해 2025-11-16 21:04:36 [복사본] Korea Trip에서 이동 됨]
  • 공유링크 복사